Monday, September 22, 2014

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte - "You're Welcome"


It's "Fall" here in lovely South Florida! Which means the afternoon high is eighty five degrees instead of ninety, and you can sometimes feel a breeze. But its underneath the darkest grey cloud you've ever seen five seconds before getting soaked with more water than you did during the ALS ice bucket challenge, and running to shelter from ear piercing bursts of lightning.

I digress.
It's still fall and just like any delusional NY transplant I fully intend on celebrating all of the perks that come with it. That means Pumpkin people. Pumpkin EVERYTHING! Like you haven't already rushed to Starbucks to get a sip of your first cup of their signature Pumpkin Spice Latte. That used to be me, until I found out that not only is their milk chock full o' GMO's but there isn't one trace of actual PUMPKIN in the coveted beverage. I don't know about you but that was enough for this lover of all things homemade, call me silly but I assume the name of the beverage was a foreshadowing of the actual ingredients.

I digress..

After much thought and research online I finally found an all natural alternative recipe that I looooove, and so will you!

You will need:
  • 10 pitted dates
  • 1 3/4 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 1 star anise pod
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 vanilla beans
Soak the dates for twenty minutes, then drain. Put the dates and water into blender and blend until smooth. Add the date syrup and all of the rest of the ingredients to a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until the mixture is slightly bubbly. Strain the entire mixture through a cheese cloth to get rid of any large bits, then store in a bottle! Add two tbsp of pumpkin syrup to your coffee as desired and a little GMO free milk for your all natural homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte! These ingredients yield 2 cups.


I couldn't help but add a little cream and cinnamon!

You're welcome folks..

Essentially Yours,

Erika







No comments :

Post a Comment