Wednesday, August 27, 2014

DIY: Homemade Playdough Recipe

It's no secret that we love playdough around here, it's an open ended toy which means the possibilities are endless! We love that sort of play here at "Imagination Station". Just recently while the boys were playing with some playdough I overheard their conversation. First it was a worm, then a train, then they were putting sticks inside and found that it looked like letters. For the next hour I sat back ("sat back is mom code for: washed dishes and did two loads of laundry) as I heard all the different scenarios this easy five minute playdough was able to create for them. I thought of all the creativity, imagination and innovation being used and my hippie heart fluttered..

I've had a ton of requests to share my homemade recipe online, but I don't use just one.

I've tried numerous homemade playdough recipes and they all have different pros and cons. Some recipes are a bit more dry using more salt than others, some use vegetable glycerine and have a more moist consistency that works better for molding. This recipe is currently my favorite because I can use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer knead attachment and walk away. 

There are a few kitchen appliances I'm convinced improve the quality of my life, Darla is one of them (yes I named her, stop judging me). There is a minimal amount of kneading I do once I pull it out of the bowl, to perfect it or add any color or scent for added sensory fun. 

Now, with all of the talk in the natural community about there being a direct connection between food dyes and ADD in children I try to limit any use, if any at all. I'm aware that it posts a threat mostly when it is ingested, but I'm also aware that whatever touches your hands enters your bloodstream as well. You can use other natural methods of "dye" such as turmeric, blueberries or beets as natural color additives. I use my doTerra essential oils to add fun scents from time to time, in this case Wild Orange because it smells so yummy!



Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup boiling water

Add this to the mixer, walk away for a few minutes and come back to playdough!

You can check out all doTerra oils mentioned and more at: www.mydoterra.com/erikasessentials, and don't forget to follow our Pinterest page at: http://www.pinterest.com/EssentialErika/ for all of our fun play recipes.


What are some of your favorite homemade play recipes? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments section below.


Essentially Yours,


Erika

No comments :

Post a Comment