Sunday, March 23, 2014

Homemade: Laundry Detergent

I've been making my own laundry detergent for a little over a year now, and I don't think I can ever go back! I can't describe how satisfying it is to walk past certain aisles in the grocery store silently whispering to myself, "I don't need you, or you, or you." 

When I set out to make most of my own laundry/ cleaning products, I did it because it was a part of us really cutting back and becoming more aware of what we consume on this planet. I also LOVE the idea that I wouldn't need to be fearful of my boys coming in contact with any nasty chemicals. Sure, I had cut out any meat fish or poultry with any antibiotics or fillers. (Even though you still have to be concerned with Chlorine soaking when it comes to poultry, more on that later) it just didn't make much sense to me that I was trying to feed my family safely, but all the while still allowing them to come in contact with harsh chemicals in almost every other way. 

Off I went on a complete overhaul of our cleaning supplies as well as our medicine cabinets! I tried a couple of recipes before I found the perfect fit. So here it is, it's so simple & cost effective! (Bonus!)

You will need:

4 cups of Zote soap shredded
You can use either the pink or white bar, depends on the scent you like most.
I use the grater blade on my food processor to shave it down, then the regular chopping blade to shred it into tiny pieces.

If your really lucky you can find the kind that comes already shredded into tiny flakes.

You can also use Fels Naptha. 
I recently gave this a try and was not disappointed. It's a much stronger scent though, depends what you like really.


Then 2 cups of 20 Mule Team Borax

2 cups of Super Washing Soda

Mix ingredients well in a bowl and store in an air tight container (we use glass, just my preference), and that's it! It's so simple and takes no time at all!

Hope you enjoy, we definitely have!


Essentially Yours,

Erika




1 comment :